August 9 - November 15, 2014
It turns out one really is the loneliest number… especially when you’re training for a half marathon. So join up with other motivated runners as you embark on a 14-week program that prepares you for the Nov. 15 American Family Fitness Half Marathon, a companion race of the Anthem Richmond Marathon. Our training teams have an incredible corps of experienced coaches, as well as dedicated SAG support for those long Saturday runs, and we even offer informational clinics to keep you up-to-date on the latest in gear, nutrition, injury prevention and more. Did we mention this might be the coolest way to meet people in Richmond? Okay, so we don’t have proof, but we can guarantee you’ll end up with a few more pals than you had before.
Here is what some past participants had to say about the program:
“HMTT was an amazing experience and I could never have met my goal without the team! LOVE it and will DEFINITELY be a returning team member!”
- Laura Schreffler
“The training program gave me what I was looking for – a structured, tried (and proven successful) program that would help me stay accountable to a plan.”
- Wayne Slough
“I really loved the family feeling about the training team. Although there were so many people, you never felt lost.”
- Theresa Gray
Your registration for the Half Marathon Training Team includes:
- 14-week training program starting on Saturday, August 9 or Sunday, August 10 at 8 a.m. at City Stadium (directions below) with a detailed written schedule for you to follow
- personal guidance from veteran coach Ro Gammon and her team of experienced coaches
- organized and supported weekly group Saturday or Sunday morning runs
- a special Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team shirt and technical race shirt, entry in the 2014 American Family Fitness Half Marathon and all associated race benefits
- special clinics on subjects like nutrition, running attire and other related topics.
Need some more information? Attend one of the informational meetings listed below or call Sports Backers at (804) 285-9495. You do not need to attend a meeting in order to join the program. (Schedule subject to change)
|Check back in early spring for a list of early summer Informational Meeting dates and times.
Training Team Fees
$135 through July 31
$150 from August 1-23
What the Entry Fee Includes
The Training Team fee includes your entry in the American Family Fitness Half Marathon and the 14-week training program.
As part of your participation in the program, you will receive a special Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team shirt and technical runner’s singlet.
To register, sign up online. You can also choose to complete the print entry form and mail it with your check or bring it with you to one of the informational meetings. For additional information, please call the Sports Backers at (804) 285-9495. All Training Team entry fees must be received by August 23 at 11:59pm.
Training Team entry fees are non-refundable and entries are non-transferable, no exceptions. Once we receive your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate.
How to Register
There are three ways to register:
Register online through August 23.
- Sign up in person at one of the informational meetings listed above.
Print out an entry form (available in early spring 2014) and mail it in with a check.
PLEASE NOTE: All Training Team fees must be received by August 23 in order to participate in the program.
Already signed up for the half marathon and want to participate in the training team? No problem! Send a check made out to Sports Backers for the difference in price between the training team fee and your half marathon entry fee you’ve paid for the event. Just indicate if you’d like to train with the novice or intermediate group, your typical pace/mile and your most recent 10k time.
Already registered? You can confirm your entry here.
Training Team Details
Veteran coach Ro Gammon will again lead the Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team. Ro has been the popular head coach of the Half Marathon Training Team since its inception and for the Midlothian YMCA 10k Training Team since 2001. She also served as a Marathon Training Team coach for 8 years. She is a certified personal trainer and running coach and has served as an Educator and Coach in the Powhatan School System for 34 years.
Saturday and Sunday Group Runs Offered
You have the option to do your Group Runs on Saturday or Sunday mornings from City Stadium. Please indicate your preference on the entry form. There is a limit of 800 participants in the Saturday group run sessions and a limit of 400 participants in the Sunday group run sessions. The first group runs will be Saturday, August 9 and Sunday, August 10. There will be a short introductory meeting beginning at 8 a.m. followed by our first group run. Beginning the following week, starting times will change depending on team assignments. You will receive emails updating you on your start times.
Fitness Requirements to be on the Training Team
There is a 4-hour time limit to complete the American Family Fitness Half Marathon on November 15, so that requires running a good portion of the 13.1 miles. We do not have a "walking" group for the Training Team. Each participant should be able to comfortably finish three miles at a time a few times per week while primarily running prior to starting the Training Team on August 9. You must be 18 years or older to join the Team.
- Once you have registered for the Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team, there will be no refund of entry fees if you are unable to complete the program.
- If you choose to run the HCA Virginia 8k rather than the American Family Fitness Half Marathon on November 15, you will be charged the event’s standard $10 fee to switch races.
- You may not defer your 2014 Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team entry nor your entry in the 2014 American Family Fitness Half Marathon to the 2015 event.
Directions to City Stadium
Richmond City Stadium
3201 Maplewood Avenue
Richmond, VA 23221
- From the North: Interstate 95 South (exit 79) to 195 South (Downtown Expressway). Follow for 3 miles and take Rosewood Avenue Exit. Turn left on McCloy Street. Stadium is on the right.
- From the South: Interstate 95 North (exit 74) to 195 North (Downtown Expressway, TOLL road, 50 cents). Take Rosewood Avenue Exit. Turn left on McCloy Street. Stadium is on the right.
- From the West: Interstate 64 East to Interstate 195 South (Downtown Expressway). Follow for 3 miles and take Rosewood Avenue Exit. Turn left on McCloy Street. Stadium is on the right.
- From the East: 64 West to 95 South. Take 195 North (Downtown Expressway). Follow for 3 miles and take Rosewood Avenue Exit. Turn left on McCloy Street. Stadium is on the right.