August 5 - November 11, 2017
It turns out one really is the loneliest number… especially when you’re training for a half marathon. So join up with other motivated runners as you embark on a 14-week program that prepares you for the Nov. 11 Markel Richmond Half Marathon, a companion race of the Anthem Richmond Marathon. Our training teams have an incredible corps of experienced coaches, as well as dedicated SAG support for those long Saturday runs, and we even offer informational clinics to keep you up-to-date on the latest in gear, nutrition, injury prevention and more. Did we mention this might be the coolest way to meet people in Richmond? Okay, so we don’t have proof, but we can guarantee you’ll end up with a few more pals than you had before.
Here is what some past participants had to say about the program:
“HMTT was an amazing experience and I could never have met my goal without the team! LOVE it and will DEFINITELY be a returning team member!”Laura Schreffler
“The training program gave me what I was looking for – a structured, tried (and proven successful) program that would help me stay accountable to a plan.”Wayne Slough
“I really loved the family feeling about the training team. Although there were so many people, you never felt lost.”Theresa Gray
Your registration for the Half Marathon Training Team includes:
- 14-week training program starting on Saturday, August 5 or Sunday, August 6 at 7:30 a.m. at City Stadium (directions below) with a detailed written schedule for you to follow
- personal guidance from veteran coach Ro Gammon and her team of experienced coaches
- organized and supported weekly group Saturday or Sunday morning runs
- a special Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team shirt and technical race shirt
- FREE entry in the 2017 Markel Richmond Half Marathon on November 11 and all associated race benefits
- special clinics on subjects like nutrition, running attire and other related topics.
Need some more information? Attend one of the informational meetings listed below or call Sports Backers at (804) 285-9495. You do not need to attend a meeting in order to join the program. (Schedule subject to change)
|Check back in the spring for a meeting schedule
Training Team Fees
$140 through July 29
$155 after July 29
How to Register
There are three ways to register:
Register online through August 20.
Sign up in person at one of the informational meetings listed above.
- Print out an entry form and mail it in with a check.
PLEASE NOTE: All Training Team fees must be received by August 20 in order to participate in the program. Training Team entry fees are non-refundable and entries are non-transferable, no exceptions. Once we receive your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate
Already signed up for the half marathon and want to participate in the training team? No problem! Send a check made out to Sports Backers for the difference in price between the training team fee and your half marathon entry fee you’ve paid for the event. Just indicate if you’d like to train with the novice or intermediate group, your typical pace/mile and your most recent 10k time.
Those who make $20,000 or less annually or receive proven TANF, Food Stamp or Energy Assistance Benefits from Social Services are eligible for a special $25 rate for the Half Marathon Training Team. Anyone interested in taking advantage of this income-based entry free, visit the Sports Backers office located at 100 Avenue of Champions, Richmond, VA 23230 to apply. Please bring with you this competed form along with one of the following:
- Verification/Eligibility letter from Social Services
- 2 most recent paystubs
- Tax Return
For more information, please call 285-9495 x250.
Already registered? You can confirm your entry here.
There will be clinics held on everything from injury prevention to nutrition to shoes. Check back as this list gets updated.
Training Team Details
Veteran coach Ro Gammon will again lead the Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team. Ro has been the popular head coach of the Half Marathon Training Team since its inception and for the Midlothian YMCA 10k Training Team since 2001. She also served as a Marathon Training Team coach for 8 years. She is a certified personal trainer and running coach and has served as an Educator and Coach in the Powhatan School System for 34 years.
Saturday and Sunday Group Runs Offered
You have the option to do your Group Runs on Saturday or Sunday mornings from City Stadium. Please indicate your preference on the entry form. There is a limit of 800 participants in the Saturday group run sessions and a limit of 400 participants in the Sunday group run sessions. The first group runs will be Saturday, August 5 and Sunday, August 6. There will be a short introductory meeting beginning at 7:30 a.m. followed by our first group run. Beginning the following week, starting times will change depending on team assignments. You will receive emails updating you on your start times.
Fitness Requirements to be on the Training Team
There is a 4-hour time limit to complete the Markel Richmond Half Marathon on November 11, so that requires running a good portion of the 13.1 miles. We do not have a "walking" group for the Training Team. You must be at least 14 years of age to participate. If you are under the age of 16, you must have a parent/guardian present for all training runs.
- Once you have registered for the Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team, there will be no refund of entry fees if you are unable to complete the program.
- If you choose to run the VCU Health 8k rather than the Markel Richmond Half Marathon on November 11, you will be allowed to do so for no additional charge.
- You may not defer your 2017 Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team entry nor your free entry in the 2017 Markel Richmond Half Marathon to the 2018 event.
- Strollers/Baby joggers are not permitted at group runs or in the Markel Richmond Half Marathon.
Directions to City Stadium
Richmond City Stadium
3201 Maplewood Avenue
Richmond, VA 23221
- From the North: Interstate 95 South (exit 79) to 195 South (Downtown Expressway). Follow for 3 miles and take Rosewood Avenue Exit. Turn left on McCloy Street. Stadium is on the right.
- From the South: Interstate 95 North (exit 74) to 195 North (Downtown Expressway, TOLL road, 50 cents). Take Rosewood Avenue Exit. Turn left on McCloy Street. Stadium is on the right.
- From the West: Interstate 64 East to Interstate 195 South (Downtown Expressway). Follow for 3 miles and take Rosewood Avenue Exit. Turn left on McCloy Street. Stadium is on the right.
- From the East: 64 West to 95 South. Take 195 North (Downtown Expressway). Follow for 3 miles and take Rosewood Avenue Exit. Turn left on McCloy Street. Stadium is on the right.